I often say that once April arrives, the remainder of the year passes too fast. Turn around, and it’s December. Yes, it’s already the fourth month of the year. The days grow longer and temperatures get warmer (in the northern hemisphere). Many outdoor activities begin in April. Here are some other things about April that you may or may not know.
There is no glory in star or blossom till looked upon by a loving eye; There is no fragrance in April breezes till breathed with joy as they wander by. ~William C. Bryant
A few things about April:
- Easter often occurs during the month of April, depending upon when the Paschal full moon occurs.
- The April birthstone is the diamond.
- The flower is typically the Sweet Pea or Daisy
- Native Americans referred to the April full moon as the Full Pink Moon, so called for the herb moss pink or wild ground phlox—one of the earliest flowers of spring. Other names include the Full Sprouting Grass Moon and the Egg Moon.
- April is Global Child Nutrition Month, Humor Month, and Mathematics awareness month.
- Some celebrations or observances in April include April Fool’s Day, Arbor Day, Earth Day, and, in the US, the dreaded Income Tax Day.
- The American Revolutionary War began on April 19, 1755. The US also declared war on Germany in WWI on April 6, 1917.
- Famous people born in April include painter Leonardo da Vinci, US President Thomas Jefferson, Queen Elizabeth II, Actors Robert Downey Jr. and Jack Nicholson, Basketball player Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs) and singer Marvin Gaye.
- Two states joined the union in April—Maryland in 1788 and Louisiana in 1812.
April is one of my favorite months. Winter has passed and the hot days of summer have yet to begin. We often hear the first Whip-poor-will in April, which always signals cold weather has passed.
Do you have any special memories or favorite things about April? Please share in the comments.