I’ve always enjoyed a good story. Some of my earliest memories are the times when I listened to my mother tell something about herself or her family. Although I enjoyed all of her stories, the ones that involved suspense or mystery fascinated me most. Even as a child I would think about the “what ifs” and was intrigued by inexplicable happenings.
I became an avid reader and this developed into a desire to write. At the age of ten, I scribbled little short stories. I dabbled in poetry in my early teens, as did many of my friends. At age seventeen, I wrote a short YA novel by hand but it was a long time before I wrote another piece of fiction.
I write suspense and mystery with a little romance thrown in. I also delved a little into Science Fiction for my story Gold Wings, which is included in the anthology Quantum Wanderlust. For information about my novels and short stories, check out the book section.
I’m not superstitious. I’ll purposely cross a black cat’s path (in fact, I own one) or walk under a ladder. However, I am interested in the folklore and legends behind the superstition. I like solving mysteries and once thought being a private detective would be an exciting job.
And now, since I’m not superstitious, here are thirteen random things about me.
- My favorite color changes, depending on my mood. Sometimes it’s red, other times, green, but most of the time I prefer blue.
- I like to go on ghost walks because I enjoy listening to the folklore and stories behind the “sightings.”
- I like American history, mainly from the Civil War era, and enjoy visiting historical towns, places, and museums. I also love trivia and enjoy playing the game Trivial Pursuit.
- I think it would be cool to travel back in time. If I could choose a period, it would be the 1860s or the 1940s. I wouldn’t want to move into the future—I’d rather discover it as it happens.
- I like to explore old cemeteries and have dabbled in genealogy research. When I visit a grave, I try to imagine what people’s lives were like in times past.
- I love hearing a good old-fashioned ghost story or reading about a true-life mystery.
- I’m not fond of chick flicks. I’d rather watch a drama or movies based on real stories, such as Bridge of Spies or The Post. I also like war movies, especially those set during Civil War or World War II.
- I don’t watch a lot of television these days, but my all-time favorite show is MASH, and I own all eleven seasons on DVD. I once met G. W. Bailey who played a small part as Sgt. Rizzo in the later episodes. When I told him I loved MASH reruns, he signed his autograph, “Sgt. Rizzo, MASH.” (No, I haven’t met Alan Alda. **Sigh**)
- I love looking at the night skies and especially the moon. A full moon has inspired me to write several stories.
- Unless they are too violent, I like thunderstorms. I used to think it would be cool to go out with storm chasers until my brother and I were caught out on the road during a tornado. (We made it through unscathed.) However, something is relaxing about the sound of rain and thunder. It’s a great time to write or to snuggle up with a good book.
- I love animals and am crazy about my two cats, Tucker, and Little Bit.
- I don’t drink coffee. Iced tea is my caffeine of choice. I drink it winter and summer and in the morning and evening.
- I enjoy listening to music, especially classic rock from the sixties and seventies. I’ve been a Beatles fan since I was six years old and finally got to see Ringo Starr in concert in 2015.